Dental Sealants Can Prevent Cavities
Dental sealants are a trusted preventative measure that can provide a barrier against food particles and cavity-causing acids. Cavity prevention is especially beneficial for young children. Typically applied to the top surfaces of molar and premolar teeth, a tooth-colored coating can help protect teeth from cavity-causing bacteria. Dr. Matthew Turner offers dental sealants to patients of all ages at his Blue Springs, MO, dental office.
Who Can Benefit from Dental Sealants?
If you do not have existing cavities in your back teeth, you are a good candidate for dental sealants. Because molars and premolars have deep grooves and pits, food can become trapped, making those areas more susceptible to decay. By safeguarding the teeth with a barrier, sealants can prevent cavities and help keep vulnerable areas healthy. Patients of every age can benefit from this preventative treatment. Following an analysis of your oral health, Dr. Turner can determine if sealants are right for you and your loved ones. He will also explain what sealants can and cannot provide so that you make an informed decision.
What to Expect
Placing sealants is a simple and quick procedure involving five basic steps:
- Cleaning: In order to make sure no food or debris is trapped under your new sealants, the surfaces of the teeth will be thoroughly cleaned.
- Placement of Cotton: Because the application of sealants requires a completely dry environment, a small piece of gauze or cotton will be placed around the tooth to block moisture.
- Tooth Preparation: A mildly acidic solution will be applied to the teeth surfaces so the sealants can properly bond to the teeth.
- Sealant Application: The liquid dental sealant will be painted directly onto the surface of the tooth, filling the fissures and pits.
- Curing the Sealant: A special curing light will be used to harden the sealant. Because sealant blends with the surrounding teeth, it will not be noticeable to others.
By investing in sealants, you can significantly lower your risk of eventually requiring treatments such as fillings, root canal, dental crowns, and dental implants.
A Wise Investment
Sealants are a simple and affordable way to help you and your loved ones avoid the need for costly and extensive restorative care. Most insurance companies cover the cost of sealants, and you can depend on our staff to work with your insurance provider to help you obtain maximum coverage of this treatment. If you do not have insurance, we offer financing options that can help make this treatment easily affordable. By investing in sealants, you can significantly lower your risk of eventually requiring treatments such as fillings, root canal, dental crowns, and dental implants.
Schedule a Visit Today
At our practice, patients truly are our top priority. Our team is proud to provide a comfortable, fun, and informative environment for you and your entire family. During a visit to our office, we can help you decide if sealants are right for you and your family by answering all of your questions. Contact us online, or call our office at (816) 229-1433 to discuss sealants with Dr. Turner.