Regain Oral Function With Dentures
Dentures are a removable or permanent prosthetic that replace multiple teeth or an entire dental arch. Millions of Americans choose dentures to replace missing teeth since the restoration is affordable and easy to clean and maintain. Matthew A. Turner, D.D.S., P.C. offers this treatment at his Blue Springs, MO, dental practice. Dr. Turner has more than 25 years of experience and will gladly explain the various denture options that are available.
The Many Benefits of Dentures
- Younger-looking smile: Missing teeth can be associated with aging. Filling in the gaps in your smile can help leave you looking years younger.
- Fuller-looking smile: Gaps in your smile can make your face appear sunken. Once your new dentures are in place, your cheeks will look fuller.
- Improved speech: Teeth serve an important function in speech. You may notice that your words are more clear and precise after undergoing denture placement.
- Better bite balance: Missing teeth can negatively affect jaw alignment, since many individuals rely on the healthy or more comfortable area of their mouth for chewing. Dentures restore bite balance.
- Affordability: Removable dentures are one of the more affordable treatments for missing teeth. Dr. Turner will explain the benefits of removable vs. implant-supported dentures.
Implant-supported dentures offer additional benefits. Dental implants involve surgical-grade screws that are placed in the jaw. That feature allows for a more stable platform for placing your dentures, meaning your dentures will not shift or move. Implant-supported dentures also stimulate nearby jawbone tissue, preventing jawbone recession.
Are You a Candidate?
Candidates for dentures are missing multiple neighboring teeth or an entire dental arch. Candidacy for implant-supported dentures requires that patients are in good oral health and have adequate jawbone density to receive implants. If there is not adequate underlying jawbone density, a bone graft can restore candidacy for implants.
What Are My Denture Options?
Dr. Turner offers three types of dentures for his Kansas City, MO-area patients:
- Traditional: Also known as full dentures, this prosthetic consists of natural-looking teeth that are secured to a gum-colored base. Traditional dentures can be placed on the top, bottom, or both arches of the mouth. They are typically held in place by a dental adhesive.
- Partial: Partial dentures replace multiple teeth but not an entire arch. They are held in place by small metal clasps that grasp on to natural teeth.
- Implant-supported: Also known as implant-retained dentures, this restorative treatment can be fixed or removable. The prosthetic attaches to tiny metal posts that are anchored in the jawbone. Patients have the benefit of not having to worry about slippage or wobbling.
Our skilled team of oral health professionals will guide you through the process from initial consultation to the final placement of your new denture. Our staff completes over 100 hours of continuing education every two years to ensure we are using the most up-to-date techniques.