Easing Gum Disease with Periodontal Therapy
Left untreated, gum disease can cause tooth decay and even tooth loss. For moderate to advanced stages of gum disease, brushing and flossing are often not enough. Dr. Matthew Turner offers periodontal therapy at his Kansas City, MO, dental clinic to eliminate periodontal disease and keep your smile as healthy as possible.
Dr. Turner has nearly 30 years of professional dental experience. He and his team undergo continuing education in order to stay up-to-date with periodontal therapy techniques and provide high quality care.
Primary Conditions Treated
Periodontal therapy can treat most stages of periodontal disease. Gum disease is caused by the buildup of plaque and bacteria along your teeth. This buildup can cause gum tissue to become inflamed and recede, leaving deeper tissues and the tooth roots vulnerable to infection. Over time, gum tissue damage and jawbone recession can result.
Maintain a Healthy Smile with Periodontal Therapy
Early stages of gum disease are often referred to as gingivitis. This mild form of the disease is characterized by gum inflammation and bleeding while brushing or flossing. However, patients have usually not suffered tooth or gum tissue damage at this point. If the condition is left untreated, though, it can advance to periodontitis.
Patients with periodontitis show signs of gum tissue pulling away from teeth. As the disease progresses, pockets of bacteria break down gum tissue and bone. In advanced stages, infected teeth can become loose or even dislodged.
Benefits of Seeking Treatment
Dr. Turner will work to ensure that your periodontal therapy is as thorough and pain-free as possible. Patients who seek relief from periodontitis at our Kansas City clinic can enjoy benefits such as:
- Elimination of unpleasant symptoms: Periodontal therapy directly addresses the cause of symptoms such as bleeding gums and bad breath, which can cause considerable distress to patients.
- Improved candidacy for other procedures: If you are interested in treatments such as teeth whitening or orthodontics, you will have to be in good oral health first. Periodontal therapy eliminates the bacteria that can threaten the success of many cosmetic and restorative treatments.
- Long-term cost savings: Dental implants, tooth extractions, and other restorative treatments can be prevented with proper oral hygiene and regular dental cleanings.
Most dental insurance policies cover most if not all of the cost of dental cleanings and exams.
Preventing Re-Infection and Maintaining Your Results
Prevention is always preferable to treatment. Whether you hope to prevent the onset of gum disease or to prevent its return, you can keep your gums healthy by:
- Brushing twice a delay to prevent plaque buildup
- Flossing at least once a day
- Using mouthwash to eliminate bacteria
- Visiting your periodontist regularly for exams and cleanings
- Understanding your personal risk factors for periodontitis (age, genetics, diet)
Even if you do not have symptoms of gum disease, an experienced professional like Dr. Turner can clean out areas that a toothbrush or floss cannot during your biannual cleaning. This exam may even reveal dental problems that you may not be aware of, allowing you to deal with them before they become a problem.
Keep Your Smile Healthy
Early treatment of periodontitis or gingivitis is critical in preventing irreversible damage to your teeth and gums. Most dental insurance policies cover most if not all of the cost of dental cleanings and exams. If you have questions about the affordability of our treatments, our office accepts CareCredit® financing to help patients afford treatment. To schedule your next appointment at our dental clinic, contact our office online or call (816) 229-1433.